Council Manager Form of Government
The Town Council sets policy and the Town Manager handles day-to-day operations of the Town. If you have a complaint that is not resolved by speaking with the department head (as may be the case when your complaint involves a question of Town policy or cases that eventually will be directed to the Town Council) then contact the Town Manager.
The manager is the chief administrator of the Town. He is responsible to the Town Council for administration of all the Town's affairs placed in his charge by them, and has the following duties:
- Appoints and, when necessary, suspends or removes employees in accordance with general personnel rules, regulations, policies, or ordinances as the council may adopt.
- Directs and supervises the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the Town, subject to the general direction and control of the Council, except as otherwise provided by law.
- Attends meetings of the Council and recommends for adoption such measures as he deems necessary to better serve the public.
- Sees that all laws of the State and the ordinances, resolutions, and regulations of the Council are faithfully executed within the Town.
- Prepares and submits the annual budget and capital program to the Council.
- Submits to the Council and makes available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the Town as of the end of the fiscal year.
- Completes other reports as the Council may require concerning the operations of Town departments, offices, and agencies subject to his direction and control.
- Generally promulgates the policies of the Town as established by the Town Council.
The Town Manager and the Town Attorney are appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Town Council. All other employees are appointed and work at the pleasure of the Town Manager.
The Town Manager is also charged as the Budget Officer as required by NC General Statute 159-9. He prepares and submits the budget to the Town Council for their consideration, prepares the budget ordinance which authorizes all financial transactions of the Town (with certain exceptions), and it establishes the tax rate.